The Royal Family of Chiang Mai did, on occasions, use the insignia on their cars, but they probably took it from the club rather than the other way around.
From about 1861 this name was commonly used for the British sports clubs. which sprang up throughout Asia-Bombay, Rangoon, Bangkok, Chiang Mai etc.
The Beginning"The object of the Club shall be the encouragement of sport in Northern Siam. For the Club to achieve this goal it should be managed so as to meet the needs of the members and their guests from time to time, and be run as a profitable enterprise where all profits are circulated back into the Club for continual improvement."
19 August 1898
On 6 April 1898 a group of people were gathered together discussing the proposal of the purchase of a piece of land for the use of Chiang Mai residents with a view to sport of all kinds. A Mr.W.R.D. Beckett informed the meeting that he was negotiating with owners of the land near to the east bank of the Mae Ping known as "Ban Muang Khai Land".Following lengthy discussions and negotiations the land was finally purchased. A meeting was held to execute a Deed of Gift of the land to the club and to name it "Chieng Mai Gymkhana Club. The meeting was terminated on May 7 1898.
The Club was established by and for those foreigners, mainly British, working in the north of Thailand. By 1907 there were 91 full members, Patrons and 3 honorary members. Only very few of these members were resident in Chiang Mai and meetings were seldom attended by more than a dozen people.
"That the Club should have survived to celebrate over 100 years is a tribute to the loyalty and determination of the membership as a whole and the guidance of the dedicated committee of five, elected annually, on which has fallen the delicate task of guiding the Club around the many financial and social obstacles including rifts and factions within the membership....We now look forward to our second hundred years knowing that many problems will arise as they have in the past, but knowing too that with a hundred years' experience behind us we have the wisdom and will to overcome them all, so that this historic club - the oldest in Thailand - will be passed on intact to our children."
The land known as "Ban Muang Kai Land" was sold on the 21st May 1898.
A Deed of Gift making over the said land to the purchasers was drawn up.
The first meeting of "The Chiengmai Gymkhana Club" was held on 19th August 1898, during which the first committee was elected
September 5th 1898 - The first committee meeting of the Chiengmai Gymkhana Cub.
Prior to the AGM in 1973 the Chairman conducted a ceremony at which the marble tablet (above) commemorating the 14 founder members of the club was unveiled by H.S.H. Prince Rawiphan Phairoj.
Probably the most notable of the founding members was Louis T. Leonowens the son of Anna, of "Anna and the King" book and the musical "The King and I".
He served in the impressively named Royal Siamese Cavalry, serving alongside Captain Jensen in Lampang during the Shan rebellion in 1902. He was also a relative of the actor Boris Karloff, of Frankenstein fame.